Monday, December 21, 2015

Photos from Deaf Events.

So, for American Sign Language 1 and 2 I was required to attend Deaf Events as part of learning about Deaf Culture and understanding the people that I would be likely be working with in some capacity as a translator. I attended several but only have photos from the two at the mall, and the event where we learned to sign some Christmas Carols. It was fun but mostly silly songs, which was kind of disappointing for me. I was hoping to see and sign some of the songs I've seen Mom sign over the years.

Anyway I haven't posted photos anywhere except to my assignment journals and submissions because... schoolwork. I only have three I am comfortable sharing but I had a really fun time. Early on there was some embarrassment when I hadn't quite learned enough signs to communicate but we had some friendly and helpful guys who like to help out the ASL students and hang out.

This is a mix of ASL 1, 2, and 3 students as well as some friendly local Deaf guys who were teaching us some basic signs.



This is Andrew who had a gorgeous Zelda themed tattoo which I expressed jealousy of, and had learned enough to converse. He was super cool, and friendly, and was apparently hard of hearing because later on he startled the heck out of some of the ASL students and laughed really loudly because he was fully capable of hearing the noise and knew exactly how loud it was going to be.



This was from the Christmas Carol event which was at the ASL club at the TCC Chesapeake Campus. On the far left is Kelley, my classmate, and in the middle is my teacher Ms Gilstrap, who is a fantastic teacher. You can't tell from this photo but I am actually taller than Kelsey, our teacher, she is a tiny pixie of a woman.



I have had so much fun with ASL, and while my hands are screaming thinking of all the frantic signing practice, and I am really looking forward to picking it back up when I get to Texas. I will need to PRACTICE so that I don't have to start back over. I didn't get A's to start back over in ASL 1 thank you very much. :P

That's it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm Rory or Rorek in most places. I design, sew, and craft, primarily for my Asian Ball-Jointed Dolls. I also dabble in interior design, but I'm a little out of practice.

I post about the things I enjoy, which are sewing, photographing my dolls, designing new outfits, knitting, which I started in September of 2008, thanks to my Mom, and occasionally drawing, or painting.

I also post about Life Events and how they affect me and those that I love.

Currently I am living in DFW, Texas in the USA and working towards a degree in Theology.