Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Doran's first kilt!

So this evening, since I knew I wasn't going to Knit Night, I decided to sew for Doran. I want to have an outfit ready for when he arrives. :] So, I used the kilt pattern that my friend Eveshka showed me. Now, I made it in grey, because for one, I don't have any small scale plaid, and also, I figure if I'm gonna be lazy and not draw plaid, I can make a cute utilikilt, and draw that. So, I did.

The sewing machine argued with me towards the end, when I was finishing the waistband, but since that will be hidden under most of his shirts, I figure it's fine.

First, here is Chris modeling the kilt with a sweater and Doran's wig. I'm thinking of putting Doran in this outfit when he first arrives.

Photobucket

And here's what it looks like, laid out. I've put a snap on it, since I don't have a Yo-scaled belt.

Photobucket

And here it is, by itself, again modeled by Chris, wearing her own wig now.

Photobucket

Pinning the pleats was the most time-consuming part. I went with a smaller-scale pleat instead of what the pattern showed, because I liked this better for the scale. It's a 2-1 ratio (thanks Nekokoi for helping me sort that out) with 3/4 of an inch for the long part, and 3/8 of an inch for the short part. I started with a 19inch by 4.5inch piece of grey cloth, as per this pattern. The other difference is that I made the front panel 2 inches instead of 2.5. :]

So, this is my first kilt! Doran will probably have a few, in different colors. I'm not planning to try and duplicate any particular tartan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm Rory or Rorek in most places. I design, sew, and craft, primarily for my Asian Ball-Jointed Dolls. I also dabble in interior design, but I'm a little out of practice.

I post about the things I enjoy, which are sewing, photographing my dolls, designing new outfits, knitting, which I started in September of 2008, thanks to my Mom, and occasionally drawing, or painting.

I also post about Life Events and how they affect me and those that I love.

Currently I am living in DFW, Texas in the USA and working towards a degree in Theology.