Friday, July 24, 2009

Doran's Kilt

So I got a bit of fabric somewhat similar to my ancestral tartan. I wasn't able to find a match in a small enough pattern. But, this is somewhat similar to the Elliot clan tartan, I mean, the inverse, which was the ancient tartan, according to the sources I could find. :] Though I should doublecheck and see if there is a clan difference between the Elliots and the Elliotts*. Anyway, the tartan I found online is dark red, blue, and a bit of tan, and Christy found a small plaid (really woven, not just printed on cotton) that has the right shade of red, with some tan, and blue. It's not a perfect match but it's about the best I'm likely to find unless I weave a kilt myself. :P

Anyhow I have the kilt pleated and hemmed. I'm trying to decide how I want to do the waistband. And I've been looking and sporrans, and have decided to make one for Doran. I already have some faux leather in black, so it's no big deal, I'd say. I just wish I had some velvety fur, so I could go for a fur-looking one. I'm currently debating if I want to make tiny leg warmers to look like kilt hose, where Doran's hooves will stick out, rather than them disappearing into boots. I may not make that decision until he's physically here, anyway.

But as I was saying, I've got the kilt all pleated, and it's nearly finished. I'm also looking at tiny belt buckles on tinyzippers.com, trying to decide if I want to MAKE a tiny belt, or if I want to try and find one that will fit around the kilt. :]

So, that's what I've been up to this evening. Nothing spectacular, but it makes me feel fulfilled. :P

So anyway, I cut 20 inches of fabric from the plaid, at 4.5 inches, going by this pattern, because the 19 inches I cut for the first kilt I made, seemed not to be enough. 20 inches seems too long, and 4.5 inches seems to be too much length for a traditional "wee" kilt. I suppose it helps that I have a pattern to use for my pleats, rather than measuring a solid fabric. I did knife pleats, on the stripe, and have folded it more along the lines of this pattern. I figure I'll have to tweak this pattern for each doll, depending on what plaid I use. Though, I don't know if any of my other dolls will wear kilts at all. e_e;

Here's the kilt, folded and pinned, just waiting to be finished. :B


*Okay I checked and apparently the Elliot, and Elliott clans are the same clan, so I did have the right tartan.

1 comment:

About Me

My photo
I'm Rory or Rorek in most places. I design, sew, and craft, primarily for my Asian Ball-Jointed Dolls. I also dabble in interior design, but I'm a little out of practice.

I post about the things I enjoy, which are sewing, photographing my dolls, designing new outfits, knitting, which I started in September of 2008, thanks to my Mom, and occasionally drawing, or painting.

I also post about Life Events and how they affect me and those that I love.

Currently I am living in DFW, Texas in the USA and working towards a degree in Theology.