Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Light at the end of the tunnel.

In exciting (for me) news, I have started the process of my name change. I put in the paperwork yesterday while I was down near the courthouse. Soon (7-10 business days) my legal name will be Rory Mathias C***.

Once I have that I can get my new ID, and I discovered in looking that in 2012/2013 they simplified the process for updating my gender marker on IDs on the state and federal level. There is an actual form, and template letter respectively that I have my doctor sign and fill out and I can use that at the social security office, DMV and also for my passport.

I need to get into contact with my doctor and ask him about it, but I've been having migraines an awful lot lately so it's been difficult between that and my sleep schedule to try and talk to people or schedule things.

If all goes well, I could finish the legal aspect of my transition by the new year, and with my health as it is, I can put off having chest surgery for a while, and it won't be an issue since insurance won't cover that regardless of my gender marker.

I am incredibly excited, if a bit nervous, because this means my long road is nearly over at five years in. It takes longer for some people and shorter for others but I've gone at a slow and steady pace and been careful and precise and I think that has paid off in the end.

The legal stuff that is making things easier for me, didn't exist when I started. 5, 10 years ago I would have had to hire a lawyer and fight the state of Texas to be able to get anything finalized legally. I don't have to do that now. I can get it changed Federally with my doctor's letter.

I know it's not at all final yet but this is the most progress I've had since I started the medical process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm Rory or Rorek in most places. I design, sew, and craft, primarily for my Asian Ball-Jointed Dolls. I also dabble in interior design, but I'm a little out of practice.

I post about the things I enjoy, which are sewing, photographing my dolls, designing new outfits, knitting, which I started in September of 2008, thanks to my Mom, and occasionally drawing, or painting.

I also post about Life Events and how they affect me and those that I love.

Currently I am living in DFW, Texas in the USA and working towards a degree in Theology.