Sunday, July 31, 2022

Migraine Blindness

I've been following some of the artists I have learned about via South Korean TV, on Instagram and have been enjoying seeing new or current posts pop up when I remember to check it.

I honestly forget I have Instagram until I get a new Lego set or something else fun and interesting and snap a few pics. So I logged in around my birthday and followed a few new folks and ended up chatting back and forth with an artist I didn't know about and I've been enjoying that. 

My energy has been extra low this month which is pretty standard once we hit the triple digit heat for the summer. I also experience a spike in intensity and frequency of migraine attacks.

So I woke up uh late Saturday having missed my evening meds alarm and then forgot to take them until it was in the safety window of taking my morning meds just a little early. The biggest reason I forgot was because I had migraine fog so intense that I didn't realise it was already here until my vision was already half gone with migraine blindness.

This is a phenomenon where I get in my field of vision black starbursts like if you accidentally stare directly at a light for a long moment. Those little black starbursts spread like black holes sucking away visual information until my field of vision is either a void with no light penetration or reverse starbursts of pinpricks of visibility.

It sounds weird and it super is. If I don't catch it and don't medicate I become functionally blind until the worst of the attack passes. I didn't notice until Mom was showing me a pattern on a shirt she had ordered and I asked if it was polkadot pattern and realised the polkadot was my actual vision (though the flower pattern was somewhat polkadot like in placement).

So I medicated, made a note in my phone and then proceeded to dissociate without any awareness for an hour or more. Once I realized I let Mom and Faythe know via our discord chat. 

Hooray for managing to communicate despite the odds!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm Rory or Rorek in most places. I design, sew, and craft, primarily for my Asian Ball-Jointed Dolls. I also dabble in interior design, but I'm a little out of practice.

I post about the things I enjoy, which are sewing, photographing my dolls, designing new outfits, knitting, which I started in September of 2008, thanks to my Mom, and occasionally drawing, or painting.

I also post about Life Events and how they affect me and those that I love.

Currently I am living in DFW, Texas in the USA and working towards a degree in Theology.